How about trying exceptional wines produced from grapes grown in the volcanic soil of Santorini? The Mediterranean climate and the porous volcanic soil are the main reasons that give Santorini wine a unique taste!
Santorini has the oldest continuously cultivated vineyard in the world and the soil is resistant to phylloxera; as a result many of the vines are centuries old. It is here that Assyrtiko was born, an acid grape and the most famous of grapes on the island.
The cultivation of the vines is different; vines are pruned to grow in a circular way forming a kind of basket and the grapes grow inside this basket. This is done in order to protect the grapes from the strong wind and the hot sun. The harvest which is called Vedema is in August and it is a big celebration for the local people.
According to the variety of wine, a different treatment is used. The “Nychteri” variety, for example, is called so as the main work takes place at night. As for the Vinsanto, the famous sweet, dessert wine, the grapes need to be sun-dried for about 12-15 days before they are crashed and fermented.
On this tour we visit 3 wineries. We walk inside an ancient vineyard, see the basket like vines and learn about the ancient cultivation techniques brought on the island by the Phoenicians. We listen to the story of the wine making, and sample different wines accompanied by cheese, olives and tomatoes.
- Duration: Approx. 5 hours
- Available in: English / German / French / Italian / Spanish / Greek
- You will be picked up at a pre-designated place.
- You need comfortable shoes, a hat and sunscreen protection.
- 420 € (euros) per group from 1 – 4 people
- – For more participants in one tour, please contact us.
- – We will not “group you with others”! You will neither share the car / minibus, nor your professional guide with a tourist group. Our tours are private and exclusively operated for you and your partner, your family or, your friends.
Have a question ?
Please submit your inquiry to get more info.