PATHS OF HISTORY
Pyrgos village and castle – Mechalohori village – Emporio village and castle
Take a walk through traditional villages in winding narrow alleys that lead to Venetian castles, witnesses of the history of the island. Wander back in time and every step you take will give you an insight on what life was like within the castle walls during Venetian rule and piracy and how people stayed protected. Feel the sensation of life in the past and take pictures to remember what stands today and has been “alive” for centuries.
Walk through the village of Megalochori located to the west side of the island, near the port. It is a rock village in the interior of the island that is known to have existed since the 17th century. It fascinates visitors with its narrow alleys, old mansions, cave houses and the blue domed churches.
Pyrgos was the capital of Santorini until 1810. The castle at Pyrgos had a unique entrance through the “Porta” and a system of passageways used for protection and escape in times of need. Walk up the stairs and inside the remains of the old castle and get a real feeling of the atmosphere of past times.
The square shaped tower of “Goulas” in Emporio, is where commercial transactions took place. A walk through the narrow winding alleys within the walls will give you a chance to see old houses, churches and courtyards.
- Duration: Approx. 5 hours
- Available in: English / German / French / Italian / Spanish / Greek
- You will be picked up at a pre-designated place.
- You need comfortable shoes, a hat and sunscreen protection.
- 380 € (euros) per group from 1 – 4 people
- – For more participants in one tour, please contact us.
- – We will not “group you with others”! You will neither share the car / minibus, nor your professional guide with a tourist group. Our tours are private and exclusively operated for you and your partner, your family or, your friends.
Have a question ?
Please submit your inquiry to get more info.